I Think: “To reach people that no one is reaching we have to do things that no one is doing.”
I Love These Quotes: “See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time.” , “Mosquitoes remind us that we are not as high up on the food chain as we think”, “I am not a glutton – I am an explorer of food” , “Life itself is the proper binge”, “I was 24 when I became an Executive Chef, until then I just ate.”, “Find something you’re passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.” BUT MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE OF ALL TIME – “A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch” , “The stupidity of some is severely outweighed by the ignorance of many” , “I’m fat. Let’s party!” , “Many see. Few do”
I Blog: I am Chef Apple, and many others
I Own: IAmChefApple, LLC.
Personality & Strengths: Read more about my Personality Profile here.
My Intelligences: Read more about My Intelligences here.
The posts on this site are my own personal opinions and my own ideas of cooking. If you decide to read or try any of these cooking methods, please do so with caution
Just a bit more information
My name is Apple and I’m a Chef. I love to cook just about as much as I love to eat, I collect cookbooks and read them like a teenage boy “reads” Playboy. I enjoy food shopping at markets and boutique grocery stores. I love hosting dinners for friends and family, experiment with new recipes and – of course – talk about food, I also have a guilty pleasure for design, and a love for ALL things beautiful.
Today I’m in the fortunate position of being able to make a living on food-writing, food and travel photography as well as restaurant consulting.
iamchefapple.com was launched in mid 2010 and is my way of combining my passions for design and food, as well as craft tidbits about the craziness of my life which includes my love, friends and family, my occasional travel experiences, cookbook reviews and, to cut to the chase, all things related to me!
The premise iamchefapple.com was built on is best summed up in two sentences: I have a crazy amount of cookbooks, an insatiable appetite for all things concerning food and life. This site is about me, I am Chef Apple.
When I created this website, I made a decision to be more exploratory with my food, in the process I hoped to learn new techniques, explore unfamiliar ingredients, discover/keep track of new recipes, document my successes and failures, and hopefully inspire other cooks to do the same, but I also wanted to inspire people to live life, to just get out there and live, to really Discover the Chef in you… whether it be cooking or living your life to the fullest!
The site has evolved a bit since I first thought about creating this site. Now I choose and write about the recipes that intersect my life, my travels, and my everyday interests – often they are from my cookbook collection, sometimes not – they might come from a friend or family member, or I might write about a recipe I created myself, I might even write a review, who knows….
12 Randomly Awesome Facts About Me–
- When I was four years old, I used to bite people. My Aunt Theresa told me that if I ever bit her again, I’d be sorry! Well, not being one to take people seriously, I bit her again, so she bit me back. Guess what, babysitters of the world? That shit works.
- I currently live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, a place I never thought I would ever EVER live. Note to self: You think you know what the future has in store for you? Guess what? Hahahaha you don’t!
- When I was six years old, I wanted to see what would happen if I stuck my tongue in an electric socket. Well, I stuck my tongue in the socket, got a shock and never stuck my tongue in a socket again.
- Between the ages of three and five, I ate rocks with my cousin Cindy everyday at Miss Shirley’s nursery.
- I’m a CrossFit’Natic who went from weighing 300+ pounds at my heaviest and passing out after 1 push-up to being able to run half marathons, chin-ups, push-ups and training for my first tri-athalon. I spend about 70% of my money on athletic gear and I just bought a killer racing bike, a waterproof nikeFuel, swimsuits, goggles, the whole nine yeards. If you want to avoid being gently peer pressured into doing crossFit with me sometime in the near future, well fuck, I think it’s probably too late for that. As everyone I know will tell you, I’m shockingly good at convincing people to do shit with me. They call it “The Apple Effect.” I call it bullying done right.
- I own my very own little business, that keeps me happy and content.#BoomWAP! and I’m the founder of The Hoodie Project.
- I went to Le Cordon Bleu, and now I’m in Full Sail University studying Mobile Development so that I can design my incredibly-outrageously-brilliant cooking apps.
- I’m officially obsessed with Scandal, Shonda Rhimes and Kerry Washington. The two people responsible for me not doing shit from 10pm to 11pm on Thursday night and if you call me on Sunday when I’m hacking into RTE one to watch THE FALL with Gillian Anderson, or Mondays when I’m watching Major Crimes that my friend Duppy writes and produces for whatever relationship we had IS OVER!!!!.
- I spent the first five years of my professional culinary life as an Executive Chef then I got tired of moronic restaurant owners and decided to do my own thing. So I did and have been doing my own thing since then.
- I have a dog named Praline, that I rescued from Victoria, Texas (am I the only person in the world who didn’t know that there was a town/city in Texas called Victoria?)and I have a three-legged cat named MisterMr he also only has one nut and two other cats named Mr. Eli Pickles and Mrs. Claire Beauchamp.
- I sincerely believe that everyone should write a personal manifesto. One of the most important parts of mine, which you can read here, is: “Be loud about the things that matter.”
- My biological clock has gotten louder over the years. Thank God for earplugs.
Life’s too short to not be a 17 on a scale from 1-10 every once in a while.
About Chef Apple-Elgatha:
Chef Apple is a Miami Beach based Executive Chef, restaurant consultant, photographer, cookbook author, designer – and creator of iamchefapple.com. She has cooked for many notable celebrities, personalities and public figures including: Tom Clancy (Best-selling author) – who swears by her Chilean Seabass, Michael Phelps (Olympic Gold Medalist and World Record holder), The Prime Minister of The Bahamas; The Right Honourable Hubert A. Ingraham, The Ambassador of The Bahamas Embassy in Washington, DC; C. A. Smith, David Copperfield – Illusionist…
Long story short, given you like it here at iamchefapple.com, please check-in every now and then – I’d love to see you around. Perhaps you’d like to check out my first cookbook (Bahamian Flavour)?
Your feedback and comments are always very much appreciated.